Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Big News



I've been bursting to tell someone the biggest news! Now that I've finally told my boss (and my family knows), the rest of the world can know. We're moving to Pennsylvania! Ted will be done with residency in June, and has been accepted into an Allergy/Immunology program at Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA. For Ted, this means a drastic reduction in the number of hours he will be required to work in a week, and he will have fewer research projects, etc. to do on his own time at home.The program is 2 years long and by the end, he will be a board certified Allergist and FINALLY be able to join a practice, or whatever he ends up deciding to do for a "real job." 
 Images courtesy of google
For me, this move means quitting a job that I love, selling our house, leaving my friends and family behind, and becoming a stay at home mom to Eleanor for 2 years. These will be drastic changes for me, considering I've been working full time for the past 7 years, and I'm used to being able to support myself. Having never lived anywhere other than Michigan for my entire life, it will also be a bit of culture shock. There are plenty of days that it's really hard for me to leave Ellie at daycare and I feel like I'm missing a lot of her life, so part of me is excited to be able to spend more time with her. But part of me is worried about getting bored and feeling trapped. Mom problems...

For our family, it will mean more time together (Weekends! Holidays! Evenings!). It will mean new adventures in a new city in a new state. And hopefully lots of other states. The beauty of Hershey is the close proximity to many other cities I've been wanting to explore like New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, etc. We should hopefully be able to take several road trips and long weekends in different places while we're living there.

The biggest change for us will be the huge cut to our income, due to me quitting my job. We've talked about the possibility of me finding something part time, but I haven't decided anything yet. Since we're planners, we have been setting aside money for quite a while now to supplement our income for the time we're away. We should also hopefully have a decent cushion from selling our house, which I hope not to touch until we're ready to buy another (after we move back to MI). But - it'll be there if we need it for something important. 

So, we're in for some adventures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment