Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Room for Ellie

I had a Pinterest board started for girl room ideas (and a boy one too before we found out we were having a girl) long before Ellie was born. I knew I didn't want to take the traditional route when it came to decor and didn't really want a specific theme. We don't plan to stay in our current house much longer, so I also knew I didn't want to do anything too special to the walls or things that we can't take with us to a future home.

It all started with a rug. I found this one on Land of Nod's website and fell in love with the color scheme.
This image isn't a great representation of the actual colors - it's much more vibrant in real life. I also found some curtains at Target that worked well with the red in the rug.
They are linen with red stripes stitched vertically. I found a dresser on craigslist that we had painted white. The red flower knobs cost me a total of $12.00 at Hobby Lobby. The rocking chair is another craigslist find. It sits a little lower than we'd like, but it works fine for now. Nice upholstered gliders cost upwards of $500-$600 and this one was $90.00, not counting an extra patio seat cushion I purchased for $10.00 to make it a little softer. 
The round basket is from Target's Threshold collection (and coordinate great with the curtains). The bookcase is from Home Decorators
I made (or photographed) all of the art in the room. The Eleanor art is made with some alphabet stamps I own with paper flowers glued on. The wooden E is from Michael's, decorated with scrapbook paper and paint. The heart is made up of many different flower and leaf stamps I own. I would like to add a couple more things to this to make it look more collage-y in the future.
The crib is from Amazon. It's a Babyletto Modo crib. I really like that it's a little lower to the ground, so it's very easy to get Ellie in and out of. Someday when she's big enough to attempt climbing out of it, there won't be a very big drop to the ground. It also converts to a toddler bed when she's ready. Eleanor just started sleeping in her crib in the last couple weeks. She was outgrowing the bassinet we kept in our room, and I think we've all been getting better sleep with her in her crib. 
The art above the dresser was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest. It's basically just a bunch of acrylic paint and some tissue paper blobbed around. I'm not too much of a painter, but it was a fun project. The changing pad cover is a giraffe print from aden+anais that I love. We have two that we can swap out if one gets dirty. The top dresser drawer is where we keep her cloth diapers. The other drawers are for clothes. Her closet is mainly stuff that's too big for her yet. Girl has looootttts of clothes!

Ellie's room is super tiny. It used to be our office, which got moved down to the basement when we found out we were expecting. The stairs cut into the room (the wall behind the dresser) and there is a small half height closet there, so the room is an L shape. At most there would only be room for a twin size bed. But it works perfectly for a nursery and I love the cozy feeling of the space, especially at night when I rock her to sleep.
Right now all of her toys fit in one basket. I'm sure that will change soon 
I have been a huge reader my whole life - or as long as I've known how to read anyway. A love of books is really important for me to pass on to Ellie. It will be so fun to keep adding to her collection.
The art on this wall is made from embroidery hoops with pieces of fabric stretched inside. The flower pattern is a scrap from the crib sheet my aunts helped me make. We also made two other yellow polka dot patterned ones that I can switch out when one is in the wash. The dog art is a black and white photo of our dog Murray. I blew up the image and printed it on regular paper. It's just cut out and decoupaged onto a painted canvas.

The lamp was $15.00 at a thrift store. The original finish was kind of a mess, so I spray painted it a sunny yellow. My mom got us the frame with an opening for a picture of each month. I haven't printed any for it yet, but I'm excited to fill it up.

The walls were already a sort of neutral butter cream color, so I just left them alone, knowing they would work for either a boy or girl. Pretty simple, but I love her room :)

No comments:

Post a Comment